Library History

History of the St. Clairsville Public Library

The St. Clairsville Public Library was organized in 1938 through the efforts of many citizens and the Rotary Club of St. Clairsville. 

The Library had various addresses until 1955, when the Second National Bank building was purchased and renovated as a permanent home. Dr. Bertha Hunt Schaffer made a bequest in honor of her parents, Dr. and Mrs. William Hunt, for the purchase of a building to house the library. On January 8, 1955, the library dedicated the "Hunt Memorial Library Building" at 108 W. Main St. in the city of St. Clairsville.  

Since that time there have been two additions to the building. Wilbert Allen generously contributed to combine with the Hunt Fund to make an addition in 1963. In 1985, a second addition was added with funds from the Library Services & Construction Act (LSCA), the Wilbert Allen estate, the Hunt Fund and generous donations from the community. 

The Library is housed on two levels, with a multi-purpose room and offices on the third level.  It is located on Main Street, across from the Belmont County Courthouse and within walking distance of two school systems.