Please hold all used book donations until January – April. The Library has limited space to store used books for the Friends’ annual spring book sale.
What does the library accept?
The Library will generally accept donations of the following materials:
- Books in good, clean condition
- Books on Audio CD
- Archival Items
- Local History Items
- Unrestricted Gifts of Money (The Library will accept Restricted Gifts of Money only if the conditions attached are acceptable to the Board of Trustees)
- Gifts-in-Kind (Furniture, Equipment, Art, etc) at discretion of the Board, in consultation with the Library Director.
- Gifts of Consequence (property, stocks, annuities) at discretion of the Board, in consultation with the Library Director.
What is the library unable to accept as a donation?
The Library cannot accept donations of the following materials:
- Textbooks older than 5 years
- Magazines (including National Geographic)
- Encyclopedias older than 10 years
- Readers’ Digest Condensed Books
- Material of any type in poor condition
- Cassette Tapes
- Outdated material
Where can I bring my donation?
Donations can be dropped off during open hours to the St. Clairsville Public Library Circulation Supervisor at 108 West Main Street in St. Clairsville. Please call ahead at 740-695-2062 to ensure we have staff available to help you.
What is done with donated items?
Once donated, items become wholly the property of St. Clairsville Public Library and are reviewed for possible inclusion in its collections, use in the building or in displays outside the building. The following stipulations apply:
Donated items will not be returned to the donor, and the Library will only accept items that are outright gifts.
- Unneeded materials of any type may be sold (with proceeds going to the Friends of STCPL to support Library programs), given away, recycled, or discarded.
- The Library reserves the right to decide when a gift added to the collection must be withdrawn.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse any gift.
- Because the Library does not serve the function of a museum, gifts of items for permanent display or preservation are not normally accepted.
- The Library is under no obligation to store or conserve any object.
How can I request an acknowledgement of my donation?
If you would like an acknowledgement letter from the Library for your donation, please let the staff person who receives your gift items to know of your request. The Library is unable to provide appraisals, fair market values, or inventories of the items donated. You may wish to make a list of items donated for personal or tax purposes. In accordance with income tax regulations, the determination of a donation value is the donor’s responsibility.
Thank you for considering the St. Clairsville Public Library for your donation!